Hey! There’s avocado in my smoothie, Mom!
At our house, the unassuming avocado gets neglected for three reasons: Eldest Son, Middle Son and Youngest Son. I sometimes wonder how on Earth they can even possess any of my genes! Not eat (LOVE!) avocado?! How simply preposterous!
I love every form of the thing– from tangy guacamole to sprinkled with smoked sea salt and eaten right out of the shell with a spoon. Try it! How about drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and chunks of feta? Oh my! Added to a piled-high sandwich or topping off a juicy burger?! Don’t even go there…..
By some misguided fluke of nature, my kids are missing the genetic components needed to appreciate the fabulousness of this most lovely, but ugly, little fruit. Not to mention the nutritional powerhouse attributes that it holds within its humble green knobby skin. I just gotta get the boys to eat this bugger, some way or another!
Problem solved! Enter: Orange Avacado Smoothie. The recipe that started me off was this one from our local grocery store website. If you like things quite basic, but still tasty, this one’s for you. If you prefer to get your morning zinging off to the makings of a really good day, read on, folks!
I have stumbled upon the secret to the smoothest, creamiest smoothie you will ever slurp! I think this secret has been known to many forever, but for my household, it’s newly discovered and we are excited. You see, I just had to get off that “Smoked Sea Salt + Avocado = Perfection” bandwagon and broaden my horizons. And, boy, am I ever glad I did!
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pit removed
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey, or Stevia to taste
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (a splash)
- 2 pkts Tangerine Emergen-C (optional)
- 7 ice cubes
- 1/2 -1 cup orange juice, milk, milk substitute or liquid of your choice, if needed
- Place all ingredients but liquid in blender. Blend until smooth, adding more liquid if necessary and to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
- Slurp with delight!
- Feel free to mix and match fruits for whatever taste you are wanting to achieve.
- Coconut extract is just divine!
- I highly recommed the Emergen-C--it's adds a wonderful flavor, a nice zip and 2000mg of vitamin C. It will still be good without it.
- The sky's the limit---just keep the banana and the humble avocado.
As for the boys….well, I’m pleased to inform you that their response to an avocado in my kitchen has changed from “No thanks!” to “This is really good, Mom!”.
Now, hmmmm…… I wonder what we could do about liver…..
On second thought, I suppose there are some things better off left alone.