Crockpot Applesauce Cake? Amazing! Delicious! Easy!
If you don’t already know it, I have previously openly professed my ever-burning love for a certain resident of our home. It’s time to broadcast it even further! Always dependable, night or day, rain or shine, cold or heat….I can count on her. It’s The Maid: my crockpot. (Or, slow cooker, or whatever you wish to name it—The Producer of Miracles would suffice as well!) The only time she has refused to unconditionally love me, is when the power is out. Oh, well, no one’s perfect!
I use her for everything, and desserts are no exception! What?! You have never done this? Alas and alack! My child, this is bad…this is very, very bad! I will show you what you have been missing! It’s true, you cannot undo the past, but you will look forward to a very promising future from this day forward! Let The Maid work for you–your family and guests, lucky enough to partake of this delight, will sing you praises. No one needs to know how disgustingly easy this is to make…but, trust me, you will NOT be able to keep this wonderful secret inside!
Once you mix up all the ingredients and spread them in your slow cooker, it will look something like this:
After cooking it will look like this! (This is after you have been drooling over the incredible smell of spicy goodness radiating from your slow cooker, which is impossible to communicate to you through mere photographs).
When you lift it out with the handy-dandy foil handles it will look like this…hopefully lacking the damage my poor cake incurred. I may have gotten a little over-excited….which is entirely understandable!
At this point, the Heavenly scent of this simple, but wonderful, creation are is testing your self-control. You will be nearly overwhelmed by a deep desire to consume it entirely and at once!
But, you must exhibit patience….let it cool it a bit, but there is no need to restrict the admiring of its pure loveliness…could this beauty really have come from within the dark recesses of a humble crockpot?! You’d better believe it!
Does the inside look and smell as amazing as the outside? Let us find out….I would say so, my child!
It’s time to dig in…….
Go ahead! Isn’t it delicious? And, you only use your crockpot for what? Shame on you!
Would you like another slice? Yeah, me too…..
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Bottled caramel sauce, whipped topping or cream and pecans (optional).
- Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place one long sheet of foil in bottom of crock pot with ends hanging over handles.
- Whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt: set aside
- Beat together butter and brown sugar on high speed for 1 minute. Beat in egg. Scrape down sides of bowl and on low speed, beat in buttermilk (mixture will appear curdled). Beat in applesauce. Add flour mixture to bowl and beat on low speed until combined.
- Spread batter into slow cooker. Put a clean dish towel over slow cooker and then put cover on top.
- Cook on high for 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Use foil handles to lift cake out of slow cooker. Cut into slices. Garnish with caramel sauce, whipped topping and pecans, if desired.
- For a gluten-free version, just substitute equal amounts of GF all-purpose flour mix for the regular flour. I have done this with equally delicious results.