Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies…and gluten free?! Yes!
Can a gluten free cookie really be that good? Amazing enough that you would even prefer it over its wheaty brother? In another life and time, I would have said, “You’re nuts!” But, I can’t look you in the eye, folks, and say that anymore.
This wheatless version is every bit as good as any chocolate chip cookie that will pass over your tongue, and the speed at which they disappear around here is proof enough for me. In fact, I’ll tell you a secret: We had company a few weeks ago and I decided they would be my guinea pigs for this cookie experiment. As quickly as these cookies emerged from the oven, they were snatched up and vanished, at an impressive rate, down the hatches of every person close enough to grab one. Without a doubt, they were being enjoyed with copious amounts of gusto and glee! When I said, “How do you like those gluten-free cookies?”, I was met with a kind of blank look of shock and disbelief. It was quite funny, actually! I did notice, however, only the slightest pause in the chewing activity of every mouth, before it was once again concerning itself only with the delightful gastronomic experience at hand.
In other words, these things are GOOD, people!!
Just so you know– GF flour mixes do vary greatly, so your mix may not produce the exact same results that mine did, but if you have one you like and you’ve made cookies with it before, it should work just fine. I used Vitacost’s Gluten-free Baking Flour, and since it has no xanthan gum in the mix, I added it myself. If your mix already has the xanthan gum in it, you may be able to omit that ingredient from the recipe. And, this is the coconut flour that I used, also available at one of my favorite places to shop, Vitacost.com.
So, enough of the boring details. Are you ready for some of these babies?!
Let’s make ’em!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Vitacost gluten-free baking flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips (milk, dark, bittersweet, chunks...whatever you like!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at at time; beat well. Add vanilla.
- Stir together baking flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into butter mixture until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop cookies about two inches apart on baking sheets. Flatten slightly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until light brown. Do not overbake!
- Let cool on sheets for 2 minutes before moving to wire racks.
- I use a cookie scoop for mine---it holds about 3 tablespoons of dough for each cookie.
- If your cookies will be smaller, you will need to adjust baking time accordingly.
Now, go on! Make some! Go!!